Introduction to Contemporary Hand-weaving: Group Workshop
Skill Level: Beginners
Learn to weave using the equipment, tools, materials and processes necessary to create hand-woven textiles in our new Introduction to Hand-Weaving Workshop. This 2-day workshop offers a small group of just 3 students the rare opportunity to learn how to weave from an experienced weaver working in the field of contemporary weaving and to be inspired to create some wonderful hand-woven samples of their own.
On the first day of this beginner workshop students will learn and practice the fundamentals of hand-weaving by setting up a warp for a table loom. Under our guidance they will learn what it means to wind a warp, dress a loom, thread heddles, reed and tie on a warp. Students will be encouraged to support each other at each step of this process.
On day two of the workshop we will cover different materials and introduce patterns and how different combinations can effect the outcome of a woven sample. We will begin by exploring different hand-weaving patterns and giving students the opportunity to explore materials and develop their own design aesthetic. They will take this knowledge over to their table loom and continue to develop their understanding of hand-weaving with all woven sample to be taken home.
Students will also have access to our new library of weaving books and our incredible selection of weaving yarns.
This workshop is suitable for beginners who have little or no experience with weaving or those who need a reminder of the basics of how to set up a loom. A lunch break will be taken both days at a convenient time for participants, duration to be decided. Students will be required to bring their own lunch or can purchase something at the deli or pub across from the studio. Refreshments such as tea, coffee and biscuits will be provided.
* Please note: This workshop can only go ahead when full (3 students), therefore we reserve the right to cancel or re-book the workshop 7 days before the workshop commencement date.
- 2 full days of tuition (10:00 - 16:00)
- Dedicated access to a 4-shaft table-loom during the 2 day workshop
- Weaving notes as per the session
- Refreshments (tea, coffee, biscuits)
- Guaranteed fun in a relaxed environment
What is not included:
- Lunch (you are free to bring your own or there are 2 wonderful options across from the studio)