Join us for this fun and interactive, 1-day workshop, where you will learn how to find inspiration from within and the world around you to create original work!
Skill Level: Beginner - Intermediate
What will I learn?
Participants in this workshop will learn all the tips and tricks textile designers use to find inspiration for their work. From exploring their own personal interests to opening their eyes to the world around them, this workshop will give them the knowledge and skills to generate lots of ideas and unlock their creative potential!
In this workshop students will be establishing a framework that they can refer back to again and again when they are in search of a refreshing idea for their next project or are stuck in a creative rut. It will include practical ways to explore their ideas and generate different directions they can take their work.
Working in a fun and creative environment, students will be working individually and in a group to connect ideas with outcomes and generate a series of ideas for their next creative project.
Over the course of the day, students will generate ideas and find inspiration:
- Understand when creative block happens
- Understand the design process and recognise areas of strength and areas to develop
- Explore Primary Research and ways to connect your ideas with practical outcomes
- Use Secondary Research to inform ideas and support Primary Research
- Explore different strategies to carry out both forms of research
- Understanding the usefulness of a sketch book
- Create mini mood boards with the aim of having some ideas to take away
- How to translate ideas into textiles
Who is the workshop for?
This workshop would suit those who love textiles and are looking for ways to find inspiration for their next project. It will be both theoretical and practical in nature, connecting strategies with actual outcomes that you can see and feel.
Participants in this workshop will find it fun and creative, working independently and within a group to share ideas, gain feedback and find inspiration! Typical class sizes hold a maximum of 12 students so there will be opportunities to share ideas and be given guidance.
Day 1: Learn about the design process, Share a personal object/photo, Understand about our personal tastes, Explore Primary & Secondary research, Start a Sketchbook, Create mini Mood Boards
Looms & Equipment
Students in this workshop will be working 'off loom'. They will be using yarn, fabric, pens & paper to create a series of mini 3D mood boards in their sketchbook.
All workshops are held in beautiful Oxford, where our studio backs onto the Oxford Canal and is a stones throw from central Oxford, train & bus stations and on the edge of the thriving Jericho community.
The workshop itself will be held in our studio or the gallery space of the Makespace Oxford building (space permitting).
For those wishing to stay overnight in Oxford and experience what the great city has to offer, we can offer some advice on where to stay and what to do. Get in touch! =)
INTENSIVE: Saturday, November 18th, 2023
INTENSIVE ONLINE: Friday, May 3rd, 2024
- 1 full day of tuition (9:30am - 4:30pm)
- All yarns and materials (£30 value)
- Small sketchbook
- Refreshments (tea, coffee & biscuits) - Studio workshop only
What's Not Included:
- Lunch (we request that you bring a lunch on the day or purchase something from The Hayfield Deli across from the studio)