Woven Cushion Workshop
Join us for this fun project-based workshop that teaches you how to design and weave your very own cushion! In this workshop you will learn to design a cushion on a frame loom using a gorgeous combination of thick, merino wool roving and fine yarns.
The basics of textile design
- Understanding yarns and materials
- Design inspiration
- Colour theory
- Creating mood boards
Practical weaving skills
- Basic tapestry weaving techniques
- Hand-weaving techniques
- Yarn blending
- How to sew a cushion together by hand
- How to wash and care for the cushion
Working with their favourite colours from their Contemporary Cushion Starter Pack (a choice of over 13 colours combinations) and a Rainbow Loom & Tool Set (theirs to take home) students will blend and combine yarns to create a striking cushion design of their own. This mini version of their cushion will become their prototype to re-create a larger cushion size at home, with all the materials included to make this possible (yarn, needles and crochet hook, duck feather 14in x 14in cushion pad).
Want a sneak peek of the cushion you are going to learn to weave in the studio? Watch the trailer for the online weaving course.
Who is this workshop for?
This workshop would suit both beginner and intermediate level weavers who would like to weave practical products for the home. Whilst we do cover the basics of textile design, this is a practical workshop where the focus is on weaving a sample design for students to weave at home at their leisure. It may take some students several days to finish their cushion as the time required will be different for each individual based on their previous weaving experience and pace at which they work.
Want to purchase this workshop as a gift? Please purchase a Gift Voucher instead to ensure the recipient receives all the required information and can book their preferred date at their leisure!
Although we will provide notes for this workshop, we encourage students to sign up for our Domestika Online Weaving Course where we go into depth on how to weave a cushion. There is so much extra content with detailed videos that we simply cannot cover in the workshop and will be invaluable to the student once they leave the studio. Any student wishing to purchase the Online Weaving Course will receive a discount code when they have signed up for the workshop.
Available dates and remaining spaces can be viewed on our Booking Calendar. Once you have purchased your workshop you will receive an email asking you to book your preferred workshop date.
February 3rd, 2023: Places available
March 18th, 2023: Places available
What’s included: Option 1
- 7 hours tuition
- 1 x Rainbow Weaving Frame Loom & Tool Set
- 1 x Domestika Cushion Starter Pack (4 x packs of high quality yarns, 1 x duck feather cushion pad, 1 x crochet hook, 1 x tapestry needle valued at £89.95)
- Maximum of 6 students
- Refreshments (Tea, Coffee & biscuits)
What’s included: Option 2
- Everything in Option 1 + 2 months rental of The Oxford Frame Loom, Loom Stand & Weaving Tool Set (XL Size)
What’s included: Option 3
- Everything in Option 1 + purchase of The Oxford Frame Loom & Weaving Tool Set at a 20% discount (Loom Stand is an optional extra)
What's not included:
- Lunch (we request that you bring a lunch on the day or purchase something from The Hayfield Deli across from the studio)
* Please Note *
Students renting The Oxford Frame Loom & Weaving Tool Set to complete their cushion will have 2 months to return the loom by post or by dropping it by the studio. A deposit will be taken on the day. The Oxford Frame Loom rental is currently only available to UK residents.