Learn the basics of weaving with our easy-to-follow, 10-Page Introduction to Weaving E-Book (A4). From the simple loom set up to exploring weaving techniques and finishing off your woven project, we share 12 years worth of teaching and weaving experience through the creation of a contemporary woven wall-hanging.
- Looms, Tools & Yarn (Understanding the loom)
- Materials (Working materials)
- Assembling the Loom (Frame loom assembly)
- Weaving Tools (Explanations for each tool)
- Understanding the Warp (Background on Sett, EPI & designing)
- Preparing for Weaving (Step-by-Step instructions for a confident start)
- Weaving Techniques (Concise instructions with images)
- Finishing Techniques (Step-by-Step instructions for removing work from the loom with a professional finish)
- Glossary (Breaking down weaving jargon)
Weaving Techniques Covered:
- Plain Weave (Tabby)
- Rya Knots (Fringe)
- Rya Loops (Pile)
Our Intro to Weaving E-Book (PDF Download) is what we share with students in our Intro to Weaving workshop in the studio. Covering all the basics for beginner weavers from a proper loom set up to professional finishing techniques, we have weavers following along creating a contemporary woven wall-hanging. By combining fun and simple weaving techniques with tips and tricks to personalise their project, weavers can easily complete their first wall-hanging within hours.
This E-Book would suit those new to weaving and looking to learn a new craft skill without needing to follow a rigid curriculum. You can read through the E-Book from beginning to end following the order to create a wall-hanging or simply skip ahead to the techniques to create your own design.