Join us for our latest weaving workshop where you can learn how to weave your very own circular artwork that features gorgeous colours, textures and patterns in our 4 hour, Circular Weaving Workshop!
Skill Level: Beginner - Intermediate
We are excited to share this new weaving workshop with the OWS community! Borne through experimentation during lockdown, this workshop is a beginner - intermediate level workshop where you learn basic weaving techniques and learn to apply them by weaving in the round.
What will I learn?
We will begin the workshop learning how to set up your warp on your circular ring, the important first step in any weaving project. You will then learn basic weaving techniques like Plain Weave, Soumak, Rya Knots, Rya Loops and Twining to have a solid basis for creating your woven circular artwork. You will then learn to apply these techniques by weaving in concentric circles to grasp the basics if you are a complete beginner, or choose to weave your design in an offset pattern to create a more organic looking artwork for those who may already have some knowledge and experience of weaving.
We will then show you how to finish off your circular artwork by demonstrating different techniques that you can choose from to complete your project with a unique look.
What equipment will I need?
Each student will be provided with all the materials they need for the duration of the workshop. You will receive a 20cm circular weaving ring (your loom), a small Yarn Starter Pack in a growing range of colours to use as the starting point for your design as well as have access to our huge selection of weaving yarns held in the studio to add that special touch! You will also have access to our weaving tools to use on the day.
Who is the workshop for?
This workshop is a project-based workshop where the aim is for you to complete your woven circular artwork during your time in our studio. It would suit complete beginners who have never tried weaving but would like a fun activity to do with friends or family.
It would also suit those who have previous experience with weaving, but haven't yet explored Circular Weaving. It will help them to solidify their skillset by applying their knowledge in a new format and stretch them to experiment with this new shape!
The class is designed to be fun and engaging with the opportunity to further your understanding of weaving while learning at your own pace. Typical class sizes hold a maximum of 6 students so you will have plenty of individual attention.
- 4 hours tuition
- 1 x 20cm Circular Ring
- 1 x small Yarn Starter Pack in your choice of 9+ colours
- 1 x Tote Bag to take home your artwork
- Use of our weaving tools for the day
- Access to 100's of yarns in our studio
- Circular Weaving worksheets
- Refreshments (tea, coffee & biscuits)
- Guaranteed fibre fun in a relaxed environment!
What's Not Included:
- Lunch (Please bring your own or purchase something from the Deli across from the workshop)
* Our weaving workshops will resume in April following current government guidelines at the time. The studio has been adapted to accommodate social distancing and all efforts will be made to ensure everyone's safety under the new circumstances. To find out more about our preparations for our clubs, please visit our FAQs page.